Saturday, July 1, 2017

One Transfer

Time is a weird thing if you think about it. Sure, some measures make sense: a day is the time for the earth to rotate on its axis; a month is the time it takes for the moon to revolve around the earth (most of the time, of course there are exceptions in a solar calendar); a year is the time it takes for the earth to revolve around the sun. But other time measurements are a bit more arbitrary in nature: a week is 7 days; 60 minutes make up an hour; 6 weeks make up a transfer...at least for Mormon Missionaries most transfers.

On my mission, at the beginning of each of these transfers, it was time to look at how I was doing as a person, as a missionary, and as a member of the church. Obviously, I was not perfect in any of these categories, so I would typically set a single goal of how I could become more like Christ in that transfer. One transfer felt long enough that I could typically make some progress towards whatever my goal was, yet short enough that I would not lose sight of the goal.

Why am I bringing up this seemingly arbitrary bit of information? Because in one transfer, the Tucson Temple will be dedicated to the Most High God!


I have taken great interest in this building since I learned I would be moving to Tucson in March of 2016. With each passing week, my excitement grew to see the Temple. I was crushed when they asked for people to not go up to the Temple grounds, so I went after dark. Since the Open House finished a week ago, I have gone up to the Temple Grounds four times. I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO excited for it to be so close I can go once a week again!

But then, I recognize I am not perfect. I am not anywhere close to perfect. But God in His wisdom gives us the Temple as motivation to progress towards perfection. So, I came up with a goal to complete in this transfer until the Temple Dedication. I'm not going to tell y'all what it is; that's not the point of this. The point is, we each have a way to improve before that day when the shouts of "Hosanna!" fill the skies of Arizona. What will YOU do to improve your time in this time of jubilee?

Maybe your scripture study has not been quite up to snuff, so you'll study from their pages more. Maybe you have been putting off family history because a Temple was so far away, so you'll gather names of ancestors to perform their work when the Temple opens. Maybe you've rendered little service and will provide more service before the Temple opens. Whatever it is, I'm sure each one of us can improve our time in this one transfer until the Temple opens, and we can enter in.