Monday, July 3, 2017

A Shadow from the Heat

One thing I have learned since moving to Arizona: it's hot here! Like super hot! Now, I already hear the chorus starting from people back home, "BUT IT'S A DRY HEAT!" To that, I have a short video clip for you to watch (starting at 4:21 for those who want to just get to the point):




Now that we got past that part, we can move on with the actual point of this post. It's hot here! It's hot enough that the heat begins to drain you, slowly but surely until you are nothing more than a puddle on the ground with some clothes floating around in it. Sometimes you just need an escape from that, so you go inside, you jump in a pool, or get in some shade (though the last one admittedly only reduces the temperature to 102°F).

Today, amid this heat, I decided to go up to the Tucson Temple...again. Yes, I know I went four times last week. Yes, I know there's 41 days til the dedication. Yes, I know I'm only on the grounds. But I love it. While walking around the grounds, I noticed the bite of the heat was lessened as I walked past the fountain.


I rather enjoyed the slightly cooler air, so I hung around the fountain for a good ten minutes. As I walked around the fountain for such an "extended" period of time, I began to notice when I was on the side of the fountain closer to the Temple, it was slightly cooler than the other side. Of course, it was because of the direction the wind was blowing, but it reminded me of a scripture in the book of Isaiah 4:
And the Lord will create upon every dwelling place of mount Zion, and upon her assemblies, a cloud and smoke by day, and the shining of a flaming fire by night: for upon all the glory shall be a defence. And there shall be a tabernacle for a shadow in the daytime from the heat, and for a place of refuge, and for a covert from storm and from rain.
The world can be dangerously hot, driven by every passion under the sun. People are enslaved to their bodies and to the incitement of society. Just imagine how many people lost their tempers because the fires fueled by the media; just imagine how many people broke the law of Chastity in the fires of temptation; just imagine how many people pass through the fires of trials and afflictions. The Temple is the one place that we can go, if we are worthy, and escape the heat the world is turning on us, and remain in the cool, collected mind of discipleship as we slowly but surely turn outward and become more like the Savior.