Friday, May 12, 2017

"Is not this the fast that I have chosen?" -Isaiah 58:6

It's inevitable. Every month, as the first Sunday of the month rolls around, a countless barrage of memes comes pouring out of every Mormon memes page about how awful Fast Sunday is. I get it! We as humans like bonding and laughing over things that make us unique. I know this post is not going to be something trendy that goes viral, but this is rambling I need to get off my chest.

Fasting is not a thing on our checklist. It is not shared misery. It is not something we try to avoid by breaking the emblems of the sacrament slightly larger than normal. It is a sacrifice. It is a time to develop mastery over our natural appetites. It is a time to grow nearer to God. It is a time to seek revelation.

I just find it ironic that the very thing that Jesus condemned the Pharisees for with fasting: "Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward." The memes and comments about hunger pains and the jokes are the modern version of disfiguring our faces so people know we fast, and it's a collective issue that HAS TO STOP!

If youfeel like these memes describe you too perfectly, I recommend studying Isaiah 58. When you truly catch the vision of the fast, you come to know how it feels when this promise is fulfilled: "Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rearward."

Is not this the fast you have chosen? If it is, wonderful! If it isn't, I exhort you to study the doctrine until fasting becomes a glorious, blissful experience for you.