Thursday, December 22, 2016

I Love the Temple!







A bit over a year ago, I met one of my best friends, Erik. He and I were in the same major at Utah State University, and met at a grilling event (I refuse to call those barbecues) put on by the department. The next time he and I did anything together, we were in the Logan Temple for an endowment session. While we did other things besides going to the Temple, the Temple permeates our entire friendship. For my birthday gift in 2016, he took me to the Salt Lake Temple. Even when we were doing other things, if we ever passed a Temple—which happens frequently driving between the Cache and Salt Lake Vallies—he would often just shout out "The Temple! The Temple! The Temple!" Then let out a little scream. In short, we have such a deep friendship because of our love for the Temple.
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling


In primary, children often sing, "I love to see the Temple." And that is true for many of us. We do love to see the Temple. Many of us also have a deep and abiding love for the work that happens in the Temple. But how often are we utilizing them? How often do we think of them in our daily activities? Are we willing to make the sacrifices to attend regularly, and if so do we actually make those sacrifices?
Image may contain: sky, cloud, tree and outdoor


When I was in Utah, the Temple was always so accessible. Most of the time, I was attending once a week. If the Logan Temple closed, Brigham City had a Temple just under an hour away. If both of those had issues, Ogden was close. It was so simple to go to the Temple. Yes, some weeks, in fact, most, I walked from Utah State's campus to the Temple. Yes, it was cold. Yes, I wasn't a fan of walking that distance. But the Temple made up for the negative things.

Image may contain: tree, sky and outdoor

Now, I'm in Arizona. The closest Temple is about 1.5 to 2 hours away, depending on traffic. It's a little more difficult to go. Add on the fact I have a job and graduate school to attend to; it's not easy getting up there, but it is a priority, so I've attended about once a month to every other month.

Image may contain: people standing, night and outdoor

Other people have made even greater sacrifices to attend the Temple. Why? The Temple teaches us how to apply the Atonement of Jesus Christ in our lives to stand a little taller and become a little more every day. If one truly wants to understand the Savior and the reasons behind the Plan, they must go experience the power of the Atonement demonstrated in the Temple as often as possible, and regardless of sacrifice. With each sacrifice to attend the Temple, the experience becomes that much more sweet, and we begin to taste of the fruit Lehi saw, and all things are drawn into one, and we begin to love the Temple.

Image may contain: night, sky and outdoor