Monday, September 5, 2016

The Words of Christ

Today, I've been thinking of the unique opportunity we in the latter days have: access to so many volumes of God's words. Particularly, I've been filled with gratitude for the Book of Mormon today. I love and revere the Holy Bible as the word of God, but the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ is where my testimony hinges.

In this book, I have learned at great measure the character of Christ. How so? Because His words, and His matchless love permeates the book. No man can honestly know Christ and honestly reject this book at the same time. The prophet Nephi declared, "[If] ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good. And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day" (2 Nephi 33:10-11).

It is my testimony that we do not need to wait for the last day. Christ is willing, able, and ready to show you by His power, and mercy, and grace the marvelous gift of the Book of Mormon. He gently calls out, "will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?"(3 Nephi 9:13). He teaches the fulness of His gospel "and this is the gospel which I have given unto you—that I came into the world to do the will of my Father, because my Father sent me. And my Father sent me that I might be lifted up upon the cross; and after that I had been lifted up upon the cross, that I might draw all men unto me" (3 Nephi 27:12-13).

It tells of people just like you and me who have received the witness of Christ and have borne powerful testimony of him. From Alma: "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities. Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me" (Alma 7:11-13); to Abinadi: "I would that ye should understand that God himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people" (Mosiah 15:1); to Samuel the Lamanite: "And it shall come to pass that whosoever shall believe on the Son of God, the same shall have everlasting life" (Helaman 14:8). These and countless other prophets have declared deliverance by the Son of God in this holy book, even the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

If you have not read from the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, I invite you to do so. (You can get a hard copy here, or you can read it online here.) If you have read the Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ, I invite you to do it again, and to drink more deeply from the living waters found therein. I add my words to the words of Nephi: they are the words of Christ. It speaks as a voice from the dust (Isaiah 29:4), but its effect can roar through your life, and change you to become who God intended you to become.

And I promise you, that if you seriously study this book, intending to know if it is indeed the words of Christ, you will have the sweet experience of the people by the waters of Mormon, of whom it is written: "And now it came to pass that all this was done in Mormon, yea, by the waters of Mormon, in the forest that was near the waters of Mormon; yea, the place of Mormon, the waters of Mormon, the forest of Mormon, how beautiful are they to the eyes of them who there came to the knowledge of their Redeemer; yea, and how blessed are they, for they shall sing to his praise forever" (Mosiah 18:30). For in this Book of Mormon, you will read the words of Christ, and see how beautiful is it to the eyes of those who read in its pages and through those pages come to a knowledge of our Redeemer, and we, with those who wrote this book, shall sing to his praise forever.