Sunday, September 25, 2016

"My Servant Jared Carter"

One of my favorite all time scriptures comes from a hardly-studied section in the Doctrine & Covenants. However, every single time I bring it up to people, they almost always respond with, "Does it really say that?" Thus, I will give y'all an opportunity to read it now.

For those who trust me completely, it reads, "Wherefore, let your heart be glad, my servant Jared Carter, and fear not, saith your Lord, even Jesus Christ. Amen." This post will wait for you as you go make sure it actually reads like that.

There are obvious reasons why this is among my favorite scriptures, but one illustrates a principle to me. This scripture really speaks to me because it is so personalized to me. It almost feels like the Lord is speaking directly to me, because it uses my full name directly. But whether your full name is in the scriptures like this or not, the Lord is speaking to you by the Holy Ghost through the scriptures.

Nephi declared, "I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning." If you do not learn from the scriptures, seek for the spirit to teach you how to apply specific verses to your own situation. The Lord gave us the scriptures for our benefit, not His.

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught, "the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants...and the new translation of the [Bible]...are calculated to make men wise unto salvation, and sweep away the cobwebs of superstition of ages, throw a light on the proceedings of Jehovah which have already been accomplished, and mark out the future in all its dreadful and glorious realities."

So whether or not your full name is in the scriptures or not, the scriptures are meant to be applied to your specific circumstances, and if you allow Him to help, the Spirit will teach you in the paths you must go through the holy words found in the sacred writ.