Sunday, March 20, 2016

O Save Us!

Two thousand years ago, the people at Jerusalem gathered as the Savior entered the town as long prophesied. They cried out "Hosanna to the Son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest" (Matthew 21:9). Today, I had the awesome experience of participating in the Hosanna Shout as we dedicated a House of God. While Hosanna seems like an amazing praise, the Hebraic meaning gives new light. Hosanna means "O Save Us!"

We literally ask our God and our Savior to save ourselves and all our dead. This holy cry is our plea to God that He will save us from our sins and from the world. As I raised my handkerchief, and unitedly cried out the shouts of Hosanna, I felt something I had not in a long time. I felt the joy of the gospel. I've known it was true, and I've been living it, and I've been receiving many great, wonderful revelations for my own life. But I realized I had disconnected from the actual purpose of the gospel. I disconnected from the Restoration.

How would our lives be different, if every day, we put as much energy into our prayers as we put into the Hosanna Shout? How would our lives be different, if every day, we were on our knees pleading the Lord save us from our sins and from the world? How would our lives be different if on our minds continually rested, "O Save Us! O Save Us! O Save Us!"?

I for one hope to find out.