Sunday, September 20, 2015

"I will show...them their weakness." -Ether 12:27

Ether 12:27 is a beloved scripture verse among the Latter-day Saints, and many seem to skip over a certain section in the scripture. It reads, "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them" (Ether 12:27, Emphasis added).

Notice, as we come unto the Lord, He promises to show us our weaknesses, in progression. Why? So we may become like Him. If we couldn't see our weaknesses, we can't take time to fortify them. Some of us deal with addiction and sins we constantly go back to, but the Lord shows us that weakness as we come unto Him. I do not believe for a second that the Lord merely shows that weakness, but He is also pulling with us to get us out of that mire.

This life is the time for men to kill the natural man by destroying our weaknesses, but that can only happen as we come unto Christ to be perfected in Him. No other option suffices in our quest to become perfect.