Sunday, June 7, 2015

Rise to the Level of your Divinity

A few days before he passed away, Elder L Tom Perry was visited by Elder M Russell Ballard and Elder Dallin H Oaks. Elder Ballard quoted Elder Perry's final wish for church members, “[I wish I] could get every member of the Church to go and partake of the sacrament, and when they took the bread, they’d ask themselves, ‘Who am I? What am I doing? How am I living? Where am I going? What should I be accomplishing?’ as they renew their covenants with the Lord.” He finished, “The minute they’d pick up the bread, something [would] happen.”

I took those questions with me to the altar upon which lie the symbols of the Savior's atoning sacrifice today. I read over them and thought of them as the bread and the water came to me. He was right, something changed inside of me as I pondered those five questions. The spirit whispered revelation to me very personal and very sweet today. 

Each time we brush spiritual shoulders with divinity, small, nearly imperceptible changes come, nudging us in the right direction. It will not be an overnight, miraculous change, but consistently being touched by the Holy Ghost will make each one of us holy men and women. Indeed, like our Father in Heaven, "for, in the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name" (Moses 6:57).

Each time we brush with something or someone holy, we put an oil drop into our lamps. These five questions, if asked each time we study the scriptures, each time we go to the temple, each time we partake of the sacrament, each Priesthood/Relief Society Meeting, or each ordinance witnessed, would change any man or woman's life to become who they are destined to become.

No person who came to this earth is destined to fail. We are all destined for all that the Father has, if we accept it through Faith in Jesus Christ and His Atonement, Repentance, Baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and Enduring to the End. By continually striving to improve and become more like your Savior and mine, and relying wholly upon His merits, you shall rise to the level of your divinity!