Saturday, May 16, 2015

Come, O Thou King of Kings

One of my favorite hymns has always been "Come, O Thou King of Kings". It was written in one of the toughest times in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints's history: when saints were driven from their homes, and crossed the frozen plains, often bleeding in exile from Missouri, Parley P Pratt penned the powerful words of the saints' desire for Christ to return and save them.

Whether on big scale or a smaller scale, we all desire the Savior to come to us that we may feel peace once more, to redeem us from whatever is holding us down, indeed for Him to set us free. We should be "Calling upon the name of the Lord day and night, saying: O that thou wouldst rend the heavens, that thou wouldst come down" (Doctrine & Covenants 133:40).

Whether He comes ten months from now or ten decades from now, He is coming! Make sure you are excited for the King's return. As President Hinckley once said, "I don’t know when the Savior will come. I’m ready for Him. I hope it isn’t too long in this evil-filled world. I do not know. ‘Come, O thou King of Kings’; I can sing that with conviction.”