Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Intimate Atonement

Often, when speaking of the Atonement, we focus on its majesty, breadth, and power. Rightfully so, without it, existence would cease. However, I feel we often forget to talk about the intimacy of the Atonement. For the infinite atonement is also the intimate atonement.


Indeed, there was one atoning sacrifice for all, but He did it all for the one. Every pain, every fear, every insecurity you have ever faced or ever will face, He faced for you and suffered for that. "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities" (Hebrews 4:15). 

Throughout the Savior's ministry, premortal, mortal, and postmortal, He ministered to the one. He taught the one. He loved the one. He had compassion on the one. So how did he atone?

Doctrine & Covenants 19:16-19:
For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent; But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink—Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished my preparations unto the children of men.
I find the suffering in spirit to be a rather interesting statement. So much emphasis is placed on His physical suffering, which makes sense: it was a lot of suffering. However, I've come to find, at least for me, mental and emotional pain hurts even more than any physical pain I've experienced. He suffered for that.

He knows the exact pain felt by the man dealing with depression, as the woman dealing with childbirth, as the couple unable to have children. He's been through it all. He not only walked through hell, but he has walked through your hell. He not only defeated the devil, but he defeated your devil.

Every thorn faced by you or me,
Was upon the head of our King on the tree.


He walked with your hand in His. He loves you, He desires your salvation, He is your Savior. He ever waits for you to fully repent of all your sins, and come unto Him, that through His grace, we may all be perfect in Christ, through His Intimate Atonement.